Emanuela Del Gado
EMANUELA DEL GADO
Director of the Institute for Soft Matter Synthesis and Metrology
Emanuela Del Gado received her undergraduate degree (Laurea in Physics, cum laude) at the University of Naples “Federico II” in Italy, where she also obtained a PhD in Physics in 2001. She was a Marie Curie Fellow at the University of Montpellier in France and a post-doctoral researcher at ETH Zurich in Switzerland, and held visiting positions at ESPCI Paris and MIT. Before joining Georgetown University as Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, Emanuela was a Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering at ETH Zurich. In 2016 and 2018 she was awarded a Chair Joliot and a Paris Science Chair at ESPCI Paris. In 2017 she became Georgetown University Provost’s Distinguished Associate Professor and was MIT – CEE C.C. MEI Distinguished Speaker. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry since 2018 and was elected Fellow of the American Physical Society in 2020.
Statistical mechanics and computational physics; structure, cooperative dynamics and nonlinear mechanics of amorphous solids, gels and glasses; nanoscale structure and mechanics of cement gels; self-assembly of nanoparticles and fibrils at liquid interfaces; biomimetic coatings and mechanics of tissues.
- A. Goyal, K. Ioannidou, C. Tiede, P. Levitz, R. J.-M. Pellenq and E. Del Gado, Heterogeneous Surface Growth and Gelation of Cement Hydrates, J. Phys. Chem. C 124, 15500 (2020) (new window)
- V.V. Vasisht, G. Roberts and E. Del Gado, Emergence and persistence of flow inhomogeneities in the yielding and fluidization of dense soft solids, Phys. Rev. E 102, 010604(R) (2020) (new window)
- S. Zhang, L. Zhang, M. Bouzid, D. Z. Rocklin, E. Del Gado and X. Mao, Correlated rigidity percolation and colloidal gels, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 058001 (2019) (new window)
- M. Bouzid, B. Keshavarz, M Geri, T Divoux, E Del Gado and G McKinley, Computing the linear viscoelastic properties of soft gels using an optimally windowed chirp protocol, Journal of Rheology 62, 1037 (2018). (new window)
- M. Bouzid and E. Del Gado, Network topology in soft gels: hardening and softening materials, Langmuir 34, 773 (2018). (new window)
- V.V. Vasisht, S.K. Dutta, E. Del Gado, D.L. Blair, Rate Dependence of Elementary Rearrangements and Spatiotemporal Correlations in the 3D Flow of Soft Solids, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 018001 (2018). (new window)
- C. Hardin, J. Chattoraj, G. Manomohan, J. Colombo, T. Nguyen, D. Tambe, J.J. Fredberg, K. Birukov, J.P. Butler, E. Del Gado, R. Krishnan, Long-range stress transmission guides endothelial gap formation, Biochem Biophy Res Commun 495, 749 (2018). (new window)
- X. T, J. Chattoraj, P.J. Mulcahey, N. P. Kelleher, E. Del Gado, J.I. Hahm, Revealing the principal attributes of protein adsorption on block copolymer surfaces with direct experimental evidence at the single protein level, Nanoscale 10, 9063 (2018 (new window)).
- M. Bouzid, J. Colombo, L. Vieira Barbosa, E. Del Gado, Elastically driven intermittent microscopic dynamics in soft solids, Nature Comm 8, 15846 (2017). (new window)
- K. Ioannidou, K. J. Krakowiak, M. Bauchy, C. G. Hoover, E. Masoero, S. Yip, F.-J. Ulm, P. Levitz, R. J. M. Pellenq, and E. Del Gado, Mesoscale texture of cement hydrates, PNAS 113, 2029 (2016) (new window).
- K. Ioannidou, M. Kanduc, L. Li, D. Frenkel, J. Dobnikar, and E. Del Gado, The crucial effect of early-stage gelation on the mechanical properties of cement hydrates, Nature Comm. 7, 12106 (2016). (new window)
- M. Mosayebi, P. Ilg, A. Widmer-Cooper, and E. Del Gado, Soft Modes and Nonaffine Rearrangements in the Inherent Structures of Supercooled Liquids, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 105503 (2014) (new window)
- J. Colombo and E. Del Gado, Stress localization, stiffening, and yielding in a model colloidal gel, Journal of Rheology 58, 1089 (2014) (new window)
- K. Ioannidou, R. J. M. Pellenq, and E. Del Gado, Controlling local packing and growth in calcium-silicate- hydrate gels, Soft Matter 10, 1121 (2014) (new window)
- K. Schwenke, L. Isa, and E. Del Gado, Assembly of Nanoparticles at Liquid Interfaces: Crowding and Ordering, Langmuir 30, 3069 (2014) (new window).
- K. Schwenke, L. Isa, D. L. Cheung, and E. Del Gado, Conformations and Effective Interactions of Polymer-Coated Nanoparticles at Liquid Interfaces, Langmuir 30, 12578 (2014). (new window)
- J. Colombo, A. Widmer-Cooper, and E. Del Gado, Microscopic Picture of Cooperative Processes in Restructuring Gel Networks, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 198301 (2013) (new window)
- A. Zaccone, D. Gentili, H. Wu, M. Morbidelli and E. Del Gado, Shear-driven solidification of dilute colloidal suspensions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 138301 (2011).
- M. Mosayebi, E. Del Gado, P. Ilg and H.C. Öttinger, Probing a critical length scale at the glass transition, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 205704 (2010)
- A. Zaccone, H. Wu and E. Del Gado, Elasticity of arrested short-ranged attractive colloids: homogeneous and heterogeneous glasses, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 208301 (2009)
- E. Del Gado and W. Kob, Length-Scale-Dependent Relaxation in Colloidal Gels, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 028303 (2007)
- A. de Candia, E. Del Gado, A. Fierro, N. Sator, M. Tarzia and A. Coniglio, Columnar and lamellar phases in attractive colloidal systems, Phys. Rev. E 74, 010403(R) (2006)
- E. Del Gado, A. Fierro, L. de Arcangelis and A. Coniglio, Slow dynamics in gelation phenomena: From chemical gels to colloidal glasses, Phys. Rev. E 69, 051103 (2004).