REU Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply if I am not a US citizen or permanent resident?

No. The funding agency requires that participants be citizens or permanent residents of the US. You may, however, want to contact an individual faculty member with whom you'd like to work to see if s/he has other summer research positions available.

I am not able to start the program on the first day. Can I still participate?

The program dates are firm and we cannot grant exceptions. Students must be able to arrive on campus in time for the first day of the program and stay through the entire time period.

Will my travel expenses to Washington, DC be covered?

The REU program will reimburse you up to $500 for all reasonable costs for travel from your home or college to Washington, DC. Three airports serve the metropolitan area – Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI). These are listed in increasing distance from campus.

Where will I be staying? When are the move-in and move-out dates?

REU participants will be provided university housing in Ryan Hall and Isaac Hawkins Hall, recently renovated apartment-style residence halls on campus. Each single-sex apartment has a kitchen and is furnished with basic furniture. Pillows and blankets will be provided. Participants need to bring their own sheets and towels.

Residence halls will be open from 4:00 p.m the Sunday before the program begins until 10:00 a.m the Sunday after the program ends.

Are there cooking facilities?

Yes. REU students will stay in apartment-style dormitories, where each apartment has a kitchen with a stove, sink, refrigerator, and cabinets. Note, however, that students must provide their own microwave oven, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, etc.

When will I receive my first stipend payment?

Assuming all financial documents and other employment-oriented paperwork are in order upon arrival, the first check likely will be available within the first three to four weeks of the program. All participants are encouraged to arrive with enough funds to cover initial expenses.

Will I have access to the gym facilities?

Yates Field House is available to students who live on campus during the summer. This facility offers a pool, free and machine weights, an indoor track, reservable indoor tennis courts and classes.

Should I bring a car to campus? How will I get around the city?

Please, do NOT bring a car to campus. On-campus parking is not available and neighborhood streets are zoned for residents with parking permits. The university is a convenient short walk to a shopping district and the University shuttle buses make frequent trips to two different Metro stops (Rosslyn and Dupont Circle), which opens up most parts of the city.

Will I be in a safe environment?

The campus is generally safe, but it is in a semi-urban area and safety has to be a combined effort of staff and residents. As in any major city, students are wise to walk at night in groups or pairs and avoid dark isolated areas on or off campus. Georgetown officers patrol campus and respond to emergencies. Emergency call boxes are strategically placed throughout the campus. Apartments should be locked when the occupants depart and public entrance doors to buildings should not be propped open. If a room/apartment key is lost, it should be reported so that a lock change can be done.

Is the stipend taxable?

Participants receive payment in the form of a non-service stipend. In accordance with regulations of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Georgetown does not withhold taxes on such payments, nor does it report such payments to the IRS. Thus you will not be issued a W2 or 1099 form for the stipend. Please note however that non-service stipends may be subject to income taxes.

This page was adapted from the Georgetown Chemistry REU site.