- All applications to the Graduate Physics Program are submitted electronically through the Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts & Sciences application portal.
- The Graduate School Physics page includes the most current information on deadlines and requirements.
Note: The Graduate School will not accept any credentials via email or fax.
The application for the 2017-2018 academic year are due on January 1, 2017. A completed application consists of an application form, the application fee, and the following credentials:
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General test
- GRE Physics Subject test
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended after high school
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Academic statement of purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS score
- Achieve a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in an accredited undergraduate program
- Take the GRE
- Take the Physics Subject GRE
- Score a minimum of 600 (paper) or 100 (iBT) on the TOEFL exam or 7.5 for the IELTS exam
For applicants from non-English speaking countries only
Note: GRE scores are valid for 5 years from the date of the test, while TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for 2 years from the date of the test.
Letters of Recommendation
It is important to carefully select the people who will write your letters of recommendation Grades and test scores do not reflect the totality of the applicant. Choose individuals who will accurately assess your capacity for research and have known you for an extended period, such as a Research Advisor. It is better to choose someone who knows you well than someone of more acclaim.
Academic Statement of Purpose
The statement of purpose should be one to two pages long. It should describe your background as it relates to your interest in pursuing graduate studies in the physics program at Georgetown. For example, you could mention academics, research and work experience, and community contributions. Your statement should also cover your academic and professional goals, how the physics program will help you achieve those goals, your talents and abilities, and the reason why you want to pursue an advanced degree. If you are applying to the Industrial Leadership in Physics program, your statement of purpose must address your specific interest.
For applicants whose native language is not English, certification of English language proficiency is required via TOEFL or IELTS.
- The minimum TOEFL score is 600 for the paper version or 100 for the internet version
- The minimum IELTS score is 7.5.
- Note: these requirements are stricter than those of the graduate school.
- Due to its infrequency, it may be difficult for certain graduate students to take the Physics subject GRE. If such cases, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator to ensure us that every accomodation has been made to attend this exam.
We welcome applications for the Ph.D. degree from students who already hold Master's degrees. Applications from transfer students will be determined on a case-by-case basis.